19 Jun Winter Workout Tips at Soulful Fitness Lane Cove
Winter can be a tough time for some of us to exercise if you don’t like the cold, but the benefits are so worthwhile. Pain is reduced, muscles are more flexible and you just feel great with endorphins. Plus you avoid the extra kilos most people put on in Winter. Here are 5 tips on how to get the most out of your program during the cooler months.
1. Get spinning – the spin room is a great way to warm up quickly and is even a great warmer before or after class. Start with 10 minutes and see how far you can grow your fitness level, you’ll be doing 30 minute classes in no time and really feeling quite warm internally.
2. Dress warmer – this seems like common sense but many of us wear the same exercise gear all year round. Try a long sleeve top under your Soulful singlet and some thicker tights that have more cotton than lycra.
3. Eat warm foods – foods that are cooling in Chinese medicine have a cooling effect on the body. Eat seasonally so in winter eat foods like squash, carrots, potatoes, pumpkin, ginger, sesame seeds, cinnamon, rice, oats, honey are warmer foods that will heat you up from the inside. Your food fuels your yoga and Pilates program and plays a vital role in your success.
4. Don’t let set backs get you down – If you get a cold this season take a few days off your program and return into something that you can handle like restorative yoga or yin yoga. You will find certain poses opening the throat will help aid head colds and speed up the recovery process of getting over a mild illness.
5. Change your class times – If you normally do 6am classes but feel this time-slot is too hard in the colder mornings then have a look at a new time and a new class to attend. There are classes all the way through to 8.30pm at night and morning and afternoon on the weekend. It’s a great chance to try a new teacher and time-slot until the warmer months return.